The beginning of Broken Arrow

At HR, Josh Chadwick, security specialist,has started Broken Arrow, a non-profit organization to help veterans. “At first, my sister wanted to just do PTSD help, but I wanted to focus on more. I wanted to focus on every problem a vet could have,” Chadwick said.

According to the Broken Arrow website, Jessica Crisp, CEO of Broken Arrow said, “I am the sister to a veteran that suffers from PTSD and TBI (traumatic brain injury). I started this non-profit with my brother to help, not only him, but other vets that are suffering from traumatic experiences.”

PTSD can change the outcome of how you see the world and how you act in public settings. For example, it’s harder to get jobs when you have PTSD because of how you react in public spaces.Military with PTSD said, “As far as us getting a job. I don’t know many of us with PTSD that can hold down jobs. It freaks us out to be in public. Civilian world is not even in the same universe as military world.”

According to Heal my PTSD, every 1 in 5 personnel coming back from Iraq or Afghanistan had PTSD. 20%of soldiers who have been deployed in the last six years have PTSD; that’s around 300,000 soldiers.

Chadwick served four years in the Marines. During those four years, while on mountain control, he drove over an explosive and was later diagnosed with TBI and PTSD. “It took more than two years to get the help I needed,” Chadwick said.

Broken Arrow wants to help veterans be seen by the VA, the department of Veteran Affairs,  which gives veterans different benefits. One of these benefits is getting them into hospitals to get treated for things like PTSD and TBI. Chadwick wants to help speed up the process, so it doesn’t take as long as it did for him to get the treatment he needed.

Broken Arrow helps by having resume workshops and support groups. Broken Arrow was started two months ago, so  they are still working on getting the events  started. Chadwick is planning to rent out an office space, so they can hold fundraisers and events, but because Broken Arrow is fairly new, they need more donations for the office space.

Vets put their life in danger everyday for us, and Broken Arrow wants to be a helping hand for them. Broken Arrow gives food, hospitalization, and everything you need for a job. They need volunteers for their shelters and to help their support groups and resume workshops. If you want to donate or volunteer, you can go to their website, at www.brokenarrownpo.org.  

Hayden Koele, Staff Reporter

screen-shot-2017-02-13-at-8-56-05-am
Josh visiting children in the hospital. PhotoCo: brokenarrownpo.org