The guide to being alone on Valentine’s Day

Just hearing the name of this wretched day will make a single person curl up into a sad ball of loneliness that will then force them into a deep dark depression that they may never come out of. This infamous day is none other than Valentine’s day.

Single people may feel like they are being haunted by a pack of ghosts that are continuously hovering around them, whisper things like, “You’re alone” or “You won’t find someone”.

For most people, being single on the 14th doesn’t get this bad, but for some it might. Just because you are alone on this one day of the year doesn’t mean your life is over. There’s a heap of activities for singles to do by themselves, or with friends.

One of the best things that you can do is laugh. Lifehack.org says that laughter boosts your mood, reduces stress, and makes you feel better. “When I’m alone on Valentine’s Day, I like to binge watch funny movies on Netflix because it helps take my mind off the topic that I don’t have a date,” said Alex Renier, sophomore.

Another great thing that you can do on Valentine’s Day is helping out other people. Acording to actionforhappiness.org “when we give to others, it activates the areas of the brain associated with pleasure, social connection and trust”

“I like to get a lot of chocolates and roses and give them to people who don’t have a Valentine,” said Sarah Hull, sophomore. This is just one example of how you can do something for your peers.

The important thing to remember is that just because you are alone doesn’t mean you aren’t loved. Megan Koch, junior said, “It’s important to realize that you don’t have to be in a relationship to be happy. Just because you are single doesn’t mean you are worth any less.”

Kyle Lynch, Staff Reporter

being-single-of-v-day-infographic
Infographic about being single on Valentine’s Day. GraphicCo: Kyle Lynch