Banned Book Week

Banned Book Week

A recent highlight for HR was the banned book week. Susan Martin, library assistant, said, ” Every year people ask, ‘There are banned books?’ and I reply, ‘Banned books have been around for a long time.'”

To ban a book you would have to go through a bunch of paperwork, so people don’t usually ban books, Martin also said.

Gina Bernacchi, librarian, said, “It’s not like they ban books worldwide; it’s usually the district that bans a book for schools in that district.”

For example, Douglas County School District didn’t feel that the Harry Potter franchise was an appropriate series. So they banned it from elementary schools and allowed it in middle school and high school.

It’s not only the librarians that are a part of this banned book week. Many English teachers wore shirts that said, ” I read banned books.” On the back of these shirts teachers chose a book they read that is on the banned book list. 

Brian Domokos, English teacher, said, ” The book on the back of my shirt was Thirteen Reasons Why.” Domokos chose this book because he feels that the topic of suicide shouldn’t be concealed from high school students. 

Katie Stewart, senior, said, “Banned book week brings awareness to topical matters in banned books that hold sensitive information that can ultimately help students who are struggling with similar situations.”

Tristan Garner, Staff Reporter

screen-shot-2016-10-24-at-1-51-50-pm
Spencer Woods, English teacher, sporting t-shirt for Banned Book Week. PhotoCo: Tristan Garner