The trick for a better high school experience

During our awkward and embarrassing high school years, we are constantly being told to get involved. It seems strange to put these years on display during this era of acne and retainers. The truth, however, is that getting involved has so many advantages and is one of the best things a high schooler can do.

I remember the days back when I was an apprehensive middle schooler who never spoke unless spoken to. I had my shell and was not going to come out of it. The jungle that was school was just too intimidating for me to even *gasp* speak up in class. Nowadays, that is far from the truth.

So what changed? I got involved in something that pushed me outside of my comfort zone. By joining choir and theatre, I found a passion, a marvelous group of friends, and a newfound sense of confidence. Being involved was a complete game changer for the better.

Jonathan Serrano, sophomore, says that his experiences outside the classroom have been an improvement on his life. “I think it makes me a better person,” Serrano said. Serrano got involved through volunteering at his church. “Go for it,” Serrano said. “Go see what you’re capable of.”

My advice for anyone who wants to meet more people, wants a boost on college applications, or wants just to have a good time is to get involved. There are so many different ways to get involved. You can join a sports team, learn an instrument, or just get involved in community service. There is something out there for everyone.

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 9.50.15 AM
    Tala Obeid (left) and Julia Dickey (right) accept first place in Colorado FCCLA under the category of Focus on Children. PhotoCo: Shannon Tufts

Tala Obeid, sophomore, is involved in basketball, FCCLA, and tennis. Obeid credits her leadership skills to her involvement. “Get involved because not only will you become a better person, but you’ll learn a lot,” Obeid said. “I know a lot more about teachers, students, and the school.”

There are many reasons why students decide not to get involved. Brady Adair, senior, said that getting involved was just never on his radar. “Because of not not getting involved early, I just kind of didn’t.”

Other reasons that I have heard include wanting to focus on grades and not having interest in any clubs. While at first glance, these kind of make sense, they are not really true. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, students who are involved typically perform better academically than those who do not. Also, there are a lot of different clubs to join. Even if none of them peak your interest, there is a way to create a new club.

Getting involved has been a huge part of my life and something that is highly recommended. Adair said, “If you haven’t played it or done it, you can’t know. I used to think that way, and now I regret not ever joining a sport. So really just get out there.”   

Veronica Wernsman, Guest Reporter