In for a penny, in for a cure

Help+raise+fund+for+Pennies+for+Patients.+PhotoCo%3A+Lara+Mathews+
Help raise fund for Pennies for Patients. PhotoCo: Lara Mathews

It’s time to start cracking open those piggy banks for HR’s latest occasion.  Beginning January 27th, HR will be holding Pennies for Patients, a fundraising event for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. All week, HR staff and students will be collecting donations to help fund cancer research to support patients and families that have come in contact with these blood cancers.

Leukemia is a type of blood cancer that affects the blood and bone marrow. “Leukemia is the most common cancer in children, so it really can happen to any of us,” said Alexa Audino, senior, one of two students in charge of the event. Lymphoma, the type of blood cancer that forms in the lymphatic system, is the seventh most common cause of cancer death within the U.S.

Each day will provide a new chance to donate. “There will be food days at different restaurants, and part of the proceeds will go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society,” said Katie Keeton, freshman on Student Senate. There will be events running in the evening, restaurant fundraisers or a silent auction at the basketball game on Saturday to bid at, said Audino.

“Monday is video game night, Tuesday is Falcon Factor, which is an X Factor like competition. Thursday is Family Feud night, Friday is a kickball game,” said Keeton. “The events are good for different types of people, they have sports, gaming, and a way to showcase your talent. It caters to everyone.”

The teachers, administrators, and most of all the students strongly support the charity event. “Our goal for fundraising is to raise $5000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society,” said Audino. Through the week, students are able to purchase a T-shirt or a wristband from Mr. Davis in room 1215, at any event in the commons or at the basketball games. “It’s free to watch the events, but there will be donation boxes everywhere,” said Keeton.

The Pennies for Patients project was sparked by Bella Hicks. “She was diagnosed with leukemia at 3 1/2, fought it for 2 1/2 years, and is now cancer-free. She is so happy everyday; it really is inspiring,” said Audino.

Donations are welcome online at rmt.sy.llsevent.org/highlandsranchhighscool. “Blood cancer can happen to anyone, at anytime. Most of us know someone who has been affected,” said Audino. “It’s a deadly disease with barbaric treatments, and by donating we are helping fund research to make these treatments better and more effective.”

Lara Mathews, Staff Reporter