Under the sea at prom

Prom: a very well-known and iconic part of the high school experience.The fancy outfits, nice dinners, the photos, it all comes in a package. Last year, COVID-19 took that experience away for the class of 2020 and 2021. However, for this year’s seniors, they finally got their prom.

HR had its first prom in two years on April 24. With COVID-19 leading to several restrictions, the student senate had to get creative. This year, only the class of 2021 got a prom. “This year we decided that only seniors would get a prom mostly because of numbers and exposure to potential positive cases of covid. We thought giving the seniors an experience this year because they missed last year as well as homecoming this year, we thought this would be a good send off for them,” said Bradley Odice, senate teacher. 

The preparations for prom usually start a year before. Senate starts looking for a venue, planning food, drinks, etc. This year, however, it was much more complicated. “For this prom we kept having to wait because we were under different protocols from the state. Everything that we started to plan would get changed because there were new regulations, and then finally, we reached the point somehow just before prom that we could do that venue,” said Odice. Prom this year ended up taking place at the Denver Aquarium, an unusual spot to attend prom. 

“It was a unique prom that no one will forget,”

Lexi Devon, senior

“We started by doing a photoshoot type thing with some live music at Shea Stadium just so people could dress up and take photos, but once that door (the aquarium) opened up, we jumped on it,” said Odice. A parent reached out to Odice after noticing an open date at the aquarium. Odice said, “It’s kind of a miracle that we got a venue at the time that we did.” 

The juniors are actually the ones who plan prom. They take on the responsibility so that they have some experience going into homecoming senior year, and they’re still here for the next class to ask questions and can learn from them.

“I really did enjoy planning prom and it was especially rewarding this year to finally be able to put an event out there for the student body to attend. It was the first social event we have been able to do in a long time, and it was something that students really needed before they graduate,” said Kylee Martin, junior. 

“I really liked prom and everything they did to give us a great one. It was very fun and a new experience. I loved that it was at the aquarium. It was a unique prom that no one will forget,” said Lexi Devon, senior. 

As for what’s in store for next year, the juniors are ready to go all out. Hannah Becker, junior, said, “I loved planning prom, and it has only made me more excited for what’s in store for next year. We’re going to go all in for everything, and bring back the school spirit 10 times more than ever before.”

Amalia Sanmillan, Associate Editor