Upcoming Big Movies of 2024

Facing a new chapter: 8th graders goals and fears before going to high school

As another school year comes to an end, one batch of students leaves while another enters. Being in a whole new environment can be overwhelming for this year’s incoming freshman. Heather Wiidakas, Cresthill Middle School counselor said, “The biggest thing that kids are concerned about when going to high school is that the school is big and they might get lost. Also, they are scared about being in a school with kids who are much older than them.” Despite that, these incoming freshmen have goals and expectations that they are looking forward to achieving in high school.

Rachel Cowden, 8th grader at Cresthill Middle School, said “High school is a chance to improve myself and to make great experiences and good relationships with other people.” She plans to attend HR next school year and wants to participate in many sports. “My dad has been teaching me some basketball lately and I might try-out for that. I’m also interested in running, so I might try-out for cross country and track,” said Cowden.

Aside from sports, Cowden’s goal for high school is to continue to improve what she built in middle school. “For myself, I just want to try and keep the same good habits that I have. I want to keep my grades up and try and stay on top of everything. I want to meet new people and make new connections with my teachers,” said Cowden.

“High school is a chance to improve myself and to make great experiences and good relationships with other people,” said Cowden

Caelan Palmer, 8th grader at Cresthill Middle School plans to attend Mountain Vista High School next school year. She is looking forward to joining the school’s dance team and photography club,  as well as attending prom and the football games.“I’m looking forward to meeting new people, trying other things, doing dance in school and joining clubs,” said Palmer.  

Other than that, Palmer’s academic goal is to get high grades. “I want to be successful in my classes, so that I could get good grades to go to college,” said Palmer.

“From me jumping into a higher level, I just need to remind myself that they are just making us transition from the things that we learn in high school that are going to make progress,” said Cowden. Photo by Francine Palmos

But with all their goals, students are nervous to enter high school. “Whenever I enter a new school, I feel so behind, like I’m not going to do anything right,” said Cowden. “I think that the expectations in high school are going to be something that I could not reach.”

Meeting new friends and trying to stay true to themselves is another part of high school that makes them nervous. Palmer said, “I want to meet a new group of people, but I’m scared that there will not be a lot of people that will be friendly and that I’m not going to be myself.”

Also, the amount of homework they will get scares them. “I heard from my brothers that it’s hard work and there is a lot of homework, so you have to work really hard to be successful,”said Palmer. 

Despite that, teachers and counselors in middle school teach their students and set activities to guide them before they enter high school. Wiidakas said, “We try to do fun activities. We take the 8th graders over to the high school to have them get a tour and walk around. We also bring our kids to move in assembly’s and be a part of that.”

They encourage their students to make new relationships with other students. “Kids think that when they go to high school that they will be best friends with their middle school buddies. Then they get to the high school realizing that there are more people in this building that have similar interests with me that I need to consider being friends with. They end up with different groups of friends because of the clubs they are joining, the sports club they are participating in,” said Wiidakas.

“Kids think that when they go to high school that they will be best friends with their middle school buddies. Then they get to the high school realizing that there are more people in this building that have similar interests with me that I need to consider being friends with,” said Wiidakas.

Teachers also train their students to build good work habits that they will need. “At the beginning of 7th grade, we teach them how to use a planner, check Infinite Campus. By the end of 8th grade, we let students do their own thing, like what people have to do in high school and connect with them if they need more support,” said Wiidakas. 

This year’s move in assembly will be on the 13th of May. Also, Link crew members, upperclassmen who guides freshmans during their first day, will come down to Cresthill Middle School to answer some questions and concerns of incoming freshmen upon entering high school. Freshmen orientations and campus tours will happen August 16th during LINK Day. Palmer said, “I’m a little excited, but I’m also nervous because it’s a new chapter.”

Francine Palmos, Staff Reporter