Women’s strong renaissance in music

Women’s History Month is now over, but the legacy and impact women have had on art, media, and politics will last forever. Last decade was a time for women to have a  substantial impact on me, the music industry, and the world.

Aretha Franklin, Madonna, Kate Bush, and others have influenced a generation of popular music. Women have been in the industry for many decades, but looking on today, countless artists have played a significant role shaping the art of music and who I am. 

I celebrated Women’s History Month by listening to the minds of geniuses, Charli XCX and SOPHIE. I’ve been listening to them for years but their far-reaching musical altering developments still shock me everyday. Artists such as them were inspired by the leadership of Björk, one of the most influential artists in the ’90s and early 2000s. 

Intriguing, important, and moving political artists like Janelle Monáe, who walks alongside many in equal rights and racial inequality movements. I love artists like Monáe who create art that encourages younger people’s unique musical styles and brings to light the obstacles a black woman could go through in an industry as big as music.

Artists such as Lizzo have put messages that have influenced people about body shaming, accepting yourself, or self beauty. Lana Del Rey, Fiona Apple, or Rihanna are examples of artists that has come out about sexual abuse or being apart of the #MeToo movement. 

There’s obviously been a lot of wrongdoing towards women in the mainstream music industry. Events like the Grammys have received negative attention for not having enough women represented through awards. According to The Guardian, only 5% of music producers and engineers are women. Not a single woman has won producer of the year in the Grammys. These statements made from the Grammys that women need to stand up are ridiculous. “There’s a common misconception that there’s just not enough female artists, not enough girls making good enough music. Even more naive is the fact that those able to showcase new talent are disregarding a huge sector of our industry,” according to Hannah in an article posted on the music blog humanhuman. Not only do I agree with this statement, but women, such as Charli XCX, Lana Del Rey, and Beyonce, have had a clear impact in pop. In hip hop their impact is similar. Erykah Badu, Lauryn Hill, or Missy Elliot have had countless input into an industry mostly run by men.

I’m not only here to count the flaws in a troubled industry, but I’m also here to celebrate these women for their achievements and making some of the best music I’ve ever heard. Instead of ignoring these women’s accomplishments or even just accepting their place in music, we should encourage, support, and create fair chances for any woman to enter the music world because there is a long list of female artists that deserve all the attention they receive.

A limited list of female artists that have had influence on myself and others. Infographic by Peter Kannikal

Peter Kannikal, Online Editor